Microsoft has introduced “Teams” as Service in Office 365 suite. It is mixed with multiple tools to give complete integration tool for employees. Teams uses office 365 group, Microsoft Graph, Azure AD. Using teams, you can create new Team for internal as well as external users. When new team is created in Teams, you will get –
- New Office 365 group
- New SharePoint Online site with document library to store publicly access files
- New Exchange Online shared mailbox & Calendar
- New OneNote notebook
Microsoft has tried to simplify the communication between employees and external users by using its own product office suite tools and opened external connector for all kinds of organization who are using existing tools or planned to use.
Difference between Microsoft Skype & Teams:
Using teams along with Skype needs - user readiness as it is disruptive for users
Below are the few differences or limitations –
It is used as chat application It is used as chat application
It is used as calling & meeting purpose It is used as calling & meeting purpose
It shows User presence indicator It shows User presence indicator
It uses Skype for business client It uses Teams client
File transfer in private chats, or file File transfer in private chats, or file
attachment in group chats, from Teams to attachment in group chats, from
Skype for Business is not supported Skype to Teams is not supported.
Screen Sharing with Teams not supported Screen sharing with Skype for business not supported.
Group chats are only supported for Group chat only supported in Teams users.
Use of Teams in organization: Teams is now becoming office productivity tool for every organizations.
- Teams Licensing : Teams comes with below licenses for small as well as large organizations.
- Business Essentials
- Business Premium
- Enterprise E1, E3, and E5
- Education, Education Plus, and Education E5
- We can store privately access files in separate location in OneDrive.
- Integration of office 365 apps: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, Planner, Power-BI, etc.
- To customized & extend Teams – use of third-party apps through: Apps, Bots and Connectors
- Popular connectors available such as Yammer, Azure Repos, RSS, SharePoint News, Heroku, Salesforce, Forms, Asana, Bing News, and many others can be used with Teams.
Features offered by Teams
- Chat History maintenance
- Use of Office 365 groups
- Integration of MS Stream to store videos & meeting recordings
- Integration of SharePoint modern Team site & communication site
- Use of One drive for business
- Use of Yammer
- Use of Exchange Online